Vinyl Patio or Vinyl Deck – Which Should You Build?
If your home is in need of more space outdoors, should you build a vinyl patio, or a vinyl deck? Each offers their own advantages. Tuff Industries has pulled together a few tips to help you make the best choice for your home.
Differences Between Vinyl Decks and Vinyl Patios
So what’s the difference? It’s fairly easy – a vinyl patio is built directly on the ground, while a vinyl deck is built off the ground. Each can be built attached to a structure or can be free standing, depending on where you would like to build. Depending on how far off the ground, a deck may require a railing, while a patio typically does not.
What About Cost?
Many homeowners’ primary concern when renovating their residence will be the costs associated with the project. Since a patio is built directly on the ground it will cost significantly less than a deck. The National Association of Realtors reports that patios typically will cost about half as much as a deck.
However, there are a few things that can affect the cost of your vinyl patio or deck, such as:
- Size of the deck or patio
- Quality of materials used
- Whether the addition is attached to the housing structure or is built separate
- Requirement for railings
- Slope of your yard (uneven ground might need leveling)
This is one area you don’t need to consider when it comes to making the choice between deck and patio – with a Tufdek™ vinyl membrane your vinyl deck or patio both require little maintenance.
Finding the Solution
Here are a few things you can ask yourself if you’re still not sure whether a vinyl patio is your best option, or whether your home would be better suited with a deck instead:
- Do I want a large space, or a smaller one? (Patios are easier to build larger, typically)
- How large of a barbecue area or outdoor kitchen would we like?
- Do I need storage space, or a second living space (Decks provide two levels of use)
- Would we like to install a fire pit? (Patios work best, but you can have portable fire pits)
- Would I like to incorporate landscaping into the design?
- Is there easier access at ground level, or above?
- Which choice offers a better view?
It can help to take a cool beverage out to your yard, set up a lawn chair, and imagine your deck or patio. If it feels like you’d enjoy your space more if it was off the ground then you have your answer.
Talk to a Pro About a Vinyl Patio or Deck Project
Even with all the advice listed above, you still might not be sure whether to go with a vinyl patio or vinyl deck. In this case, talking to a deck contractor can help, they’ll be able to assess your yard and ascertain which approach will work best.