Patio vs Deck | Tufdek™admin
Patio vs Deck – Tufdek Vinyl Decking
If your home is in need of more space outdoors, should you build a patio or a deck? Each offers its own advantages. Tufdek has pulled together a few patio vs deck tips to help you make the best choice for your home
Patio vs Deck Differences
So what’s the difference? It’s fairly easy – a patio is built directly on the ground, while a deck is built off the ground. Each can be built attached to a structure or can be free-standing, depending on where you would like to build. Depending on how far off the ground, a deck may require a railing, while a patio typically does not.
What About Cost?
Many homeowners’ primary concern when renovating their residence will be the costs associated with the project. Since a patio is built directly on the ground it will cost significantly less than a deck. The National Association of Realtors reports that patios typically will cost about half as much as a deck.
However, there are a few things that can affect the cost of your vinyl patio or deck, such as:
- Size of the deck or patio
- Quality of materials used
- Whether the addition is attached to the housing structure or is built separately
- Requirement for railings
- The slope of your yard (uneven ground might need leveling)
Patio vs Deck Maintenance Considerations
This is one area you don’t need to consider when it comes to making the choice between deck and patio – with Tufdek vinyl decking your deck or patio both require little maintenance.
Finding the Solution
Here are a few things you can ask yourself if you’re still not sure whether a patio is your best option, or whether your home would be better suited with a deck instead:
- Do I want a large space, or a smaller one? (Patios are easier to build larger, typically)
- How large of a barbecue area or outdoor kitchen would we like?
- Do I need storage space or additional living space? (Decks provide two levels of use)
- Would we like to install a fire pit? (Patios work best, but you can have portable fire pits)
- Would I like to incorporate landscaping into the design?
- Is there easier access at ground level, or above?
- Which choice offers a better view?
It can help to take a cool beverage out to your yard, set up a lawn chair, and imagine your deck or patio. If it feels like you’d enjoy your space more if it were off the ground, then you have your answer.
Talk to a Pro About a Patio or Deck Project
Even with all the advice listed above, you still might not be sure whether to go with a vinyl patio or vinyl deck. In this case, talking to an Authorized Tufdek Dealer can help, they’ll be able to assess your yard and ascertain which approach will work best.
Contact Us Today
No matter which type of outdoor space you decide to build it will be great. Tufdek Waterproof Vinyl Decking is the perfect choice for your walkable and waterproofing surface. Contact us today to discuss using Tufdek on your project. Call us toll-free at 1-877-860-9333, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the contact page of our website. Our Tufdek team is here and happy to help you with any questions you may have.