Tufdek™ Does Not Recommend A Homemade Vinyl Deck Cleaner
Tufdek Does Not Recommend A Homemade Vinyl Deck Cleaner
Our Waterproof Deck Solutions Team gets asked regularly if customers can make their own Homemade Vinyl Deck Cleaner? Tufdek Vinyl Decking , as all exposed vinyl deck membranes get dirty over the lifespan of the vinyl from airborne pollutants, dirt and foot traffic. The type of dirt accumulation relates to the location of the installed product, the type of use, and the surrounding environment. Each type of “dirt” requires a slightly different approach and level of effort to remove it from the textured surface of the Tufdek™ vinyl deck membrane.
Alternatives to Creating a Homemade Vinyl Deck Cleaner
Tufdek Vinyl Decking Cleaning Instructions:
1. Regularly broom clean the deck surface. This will remove loose dirt and debris that might clog the drains or abrade the membrane surface during washing.
2. Wet the deck surface and allow to soak for five minutes to soften any dried debris.
3. Loosen the dirt from the membrane surface with a stiff bristle brush scrubbing in a circular motion which will help lift any dirt at the bottom of the textured surface.
4. Rinse the area of the membrane being worked with clean water to assess the effectiveness of the cleaning.
5. If there is still dirt in the texture of the membrane, thoroughly re-wet the deck surface with hot water from your household tap (no hotter than 49 C / 120 F) and allow to soak for five minutes.
6. While soaking, re-scrub the membrane surface with a stiff bristle brush.
7. Rinse the area of the membrane being worked with clean water to assess the effectiveness of the cleaning.
8. The above steps will remove most forms of dirt. If one washing does not remove the dirt, you may need to repeat steps 1-7 numerous times.
Pressure Washing Vinyl Decking
Our Tufdek Waterproof Deck Solutions Team gets asked regularly if you can use a pressure washer to clean your deck. The answer is yes, beyond the normal maintenance instructions listed above another option is to use a pressure washer to clean your vinyl deck surface.
Pressure washing equipment can severely damage vinyl deck membranes if not done correctly so you must use caution when performing this task. When using a pressure washer please keep the following things in mind:
Pressure Washing Vinyl Decking Tip #1
Do not use any pressure washer tip with less than a 30° arc. Tips with a concentration angle smaller than 30° can damage the vinyl decking membrane.
Pressure Washing Vinyl Decking Tip #2
Do not use a rotating tip apparatus.
Pressure Washing Vinyl Decking Tip #3
When using a pressure washer, do not exceed a max PSI of 1000, and the usage of a wide tip nozzle with a maintained minimum of 12” distance between nozzle and the vinyl membrane is required. Damage caused by power washing is not covered under the terms of the Tufdek warranty.
Pressure Washing Vinyl Decking Tip #4
Use extreme caution around all trims, railings, and caulking’s.
At Tufdek we strongly recommend customers refer to the Tufdek Maintenance Instructions and not try to create their own homemade vinyl deck cleaner
Tuff Industries Inc. can provide no advice on alternate cleaning solutions. Many household chemicals and cleaning products will leave a residue which can alter the performance and / or appearance of the vinyl membrane product. If you choose to clean Tuff vinyl membranes with any cleaning solution other than clean fresh water Tuff Industries Inc. will not be held responsible for damages caused from these cleaning solutions. If you suspect the vinyl deck membrane system may have been damaged during the cleaning process, contact the installation contractor who installed the membrane.
For more information about Tufdek Waterproof Vinyl Decking please visit our product information page and feel free to contact us with any questions anytime as our Tufdek team of professionals are always ready to help.
- Get More out of Vinyl Patios through Autumn &am...
- Vinyl Deck Railings – Tufdek Waterproof D...
- Vinyl Patio – Tufdek While you might feel...